If you have more than one store you may need to migrate all your Custom Fields (metafield) data out of one store and into another. For example, you might want to copy metafield data from your development or staging store to your production store. Custom Fields can handle this.
Lets Get Started!
- First, set up your second store and enable the Custom Fields app. You may want to look into "cloning" your store using an app from the app store instead of starting fresh.
- If you've cloned your store, all your Custom Fields data will be there already. This is because Custom Fields utilizes Shopify's Metafields system and your data is always stored with Shopify.
- If you're cloning, you'll still need your Custom Fields configuration. Configuration is how you've set up your fields in our app. This can cause confusion. "I cloned my store and your app doesn't have my store's settings. I don't get it."
- Reach out to us to copy your configuration from one store to the other. See this article to get that started. It's not built into the app but we can take care of it for you manually.
- If you're working with a clone, stop here, you're done! You now have both your data and your configuration.
- If you're not starting with a clone, import your products or other data into Shopify using Shopify's export and import features using data from your first store. This step has nothing to do with our app.
- Next, use the export tool in Custom Fields to export your fields from our app. You can export both fields from Custom Fields and any other Shopify Metafield if you need them.
- Once you have your export from our app, you need to edit the file. Remove the ID column from the export. The IDs from your first store won't be the same as the IDs in your new store.
- Next, import your edited CSV file into Custom Fields.
- You're done! Go check it out, you'll have both your field configurations and your data